Created for God

(Gospel e-Letter - November 2015)

There is an infinite space in the human heart. It desires and yearns for more, but it is never filled or satisfied even if it possesses the entire world.

My colleague was preparing to go to work. His daughter asked him to stay at home and play with her. He answered that if he doesn’t work they won’t have money to buy her toys. His daughter replied, “I have enough toys, daddy. I prefer to have you stay with me.”

Even little ones realize that mere stuff isn’t enough. Human beings live and thrive on love; this is how God made us. We should give priority to our family and loved ones and seek to enjoy them all the more. But even this isn’t sufficient. Our heart yearns for the greatest and infinite love. Augustine of Hippo expressed this truth brilliantly in his prayer: “You have created us for yourself, O God, and our hearts are restless until they find rest in you.”

People find no lasting and satisfactory repose except in their Maker. “As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, O God” (Psalms 42:1). His gifts are sweet and precious – the joy and comfort of the family, the company of friends, physical health, provision of food and shelter, together with the enjoyment of a marvellous creation. But immeasurably sweeter above all else is God himself. Nobody and nothing can rightly compete with him. “Whom have I in heaven but you? And earth has nothing I desire besides you” (Psalms 73:25).

Many of us are distracted and preoccupied by too much busyness, entertainments and material things. It’s a tragedy that so many people never experience the goodness and sweetness of God. “My people have committed two sins,” God says, “they have forsaken me, the spring of living water, and have dug their own cisterns, broken cisterns that cannot hold water” (Jeremiah 2:13).

God counsels us to forsake our worthless ways, and invites us to come to him, the spring of living water, to drink of him and satisfy our hearts.

Lord, make known to me the true purpose for which I was born. Show me what a tragedy it would be if I waste my life running after emptiness or frivolity. I realize how impossible it is for me to satisfy myself with whatever this present world can offer. Protect me from vanity. Let me taste of your infinite love so I may enjoy real life. You alone can fill my heart with everlasting joy.